White Eggplants Recipe
This week when I went for my Vegetable shopping … which is something I love…I came across these beautiful looking White Eggplants… I had heard about these but somehow never seen them… So when I saw these I was so excited & asked so many questions to the Vendor that he actually started glaring at me & said “Lena Ka hain ke Nahi ” ( do you want to buy or no) Hahaha….
The White Eggplants have a lovely satin skin & are pear shaped…U actually don’t feel like cutting these…they are quite spongelike & take on the flavours added very well… I was told by the vendor that they are more common in South India… They are also used in some South Asian Cooking.. They don’t have a long shelf life so try using them as soon as you buy them…
White Eggplants are known to help in treating diabetes & also Asthma…They do have some medicinal properties..
Now I was wondering how do I make these without cutting these cute little things but I didn’t want to make Bharela BAINGAN so I thought of making a different kind of Masala for it…I tried retaining the white colour.. tried boiling, airfrying, sauteing but I thought the best was boiling them till half done but they do turn a little brown…
I have used Gujarti Sambhariyo powder in this recipe which is a Mustard & Fenugreek powder mixed with Chilli powder & is readily available in the market, do not confuse this with the South Indian Sambhar Masala….
So now for this Amazing Recipe….
U Need —-
_______Daliya👆 a kind of Chickpea_____
Ingredients for White Eggplants Recipe
- Half kg White Eggplants
- 3 tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon chickpea flour / Besan
- 4 tablespoon daliya coarsely grinded
- 3 tablespoon Sambhariyo powder ( not sambhar powder )
- 1 tbsp jaggery
- A pinch of aesofoetida
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon dhanajeera powder / coriander cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 + 2 tablespoon oil
Method White Eggplants Recipe
- Put a slight slit on the Eggplants , we don’t have to cut them
- Boil water in a large pot/ kadai, add a little salt
- Add the whole white Eggplants
- Boil for 7 to 8 minutes.. keep aside
Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a pan, Add the aesofoetida
- Add the Chickpea flour / Besan to it, cook till the flour turns brown
- Now add the jaggery & cook for a minute, then add the Sambhariyo powder, cook for a minute again..
- Add the chopped tomatoes, daliya powder,salt, dhanajeera & Chilli powder..cook for about 2 minutes
- Add the boiled Eggplants, & stir well…
- Heat the other 2 teaspoon of oil & add the hot oil to the Eggplants in the pan…
- Let it cook on a high flame for just a minute more…
If you don’t get White Eggplants, you can even use the other varieties of small Eggplants…
Hope you are enjoying my Recipes…
Do like & Follow my blog if you do !!!!