Making of Ragi Pulav
Morning Cooking has to be Delicious but Simple at the same time as Its a busy hour for most of us.
I had soaked some Ragi / Nachni ( which is no less than a Superfood ) yesterday & had thought of making Dosa or Chilla with it but when I looked around in my kitchen I came upon some fresh Suran / Elephant Yam, baby bringals, Mooli / Radish from my visit to the local market & as usual had Potatoes lying in plenty.
I also got hold of my Homemade Red Masala & this got my brains working this Morning!
Finally, I felt like trying out a Pulav with the soaked Ragi & Rice with the Vegetables mentioned above since we love having a One Meal Dish on certain lazy weekdays & what better than a Pulav with Papad, Pickle & Dahi !!
I have never tried making a Rice dish with Ragi before…
Ragi or Nachni was also known as Finger Millet is full of health benefits as it is one of highest cereal on calcium compared to all other, is full on fiber which is great for weight loss & for the digestive system. Ragi is great for people who are gluten intolerant & is a Superfood for Babies.
The best & easiest way to use Ragi is by using the flour through which you can make Idlis, Dosas, Porridge… It is also great to bake with to make Cookies & Cakes.
So here’s the Recipe for Ragi Pulav …
- Half cup Ragi
- One Cup Basmati Rice
- 250 gms Suran / Elephant Yam
- 2 potatoes
- 2 baby brinjals/eggplants
- Few pieces of Radish / Mooli
- 4 tbsp garlic ginger paste
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 2/3 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
Red Masala —
- 5/ 6 Whole Red Chilies
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
Roast & Grind the above ingredients into the Red Masala
- Wash & then Soak Ragi overnight
- Pressure cook it in the morning up to 5 whistles ( make sure it is cooked properly )
- Cook the rice into separate grains ( rice should not be overcooked )
- Cut the Vegetables into big pieces
- Heat Ghee in a non-stick pan
- Add the Ginger Garlic paste
- Add the masala & sauté for a minute
- Add 3 tablespoon of water
- Add the Ragi & cook for 2 minutes
- Then add the Vegetables
- Now Cook this for 10 minutes by putting on a lid until the Vegetables are tender & cooked
Finally, add the Salt & mix in the Rice very gently
Garnish with some fresh Coriander leaves
Serve with Papad, Pickle & Dahi/ Yoghurt !!
This may look like a little difficult dish on reading the Recipe but it is something that you will just zoom by & make a Delightful One Meal Dish for your family!
Have a great Week.
Be Happy & Thankful!
Also, Check out My Recipe on Delicious and Healthy Mediterranean Red Rice