MAKAI NA BHAJIYA
The quintessential MAKAI holds such a prominent place in our Indian Hearts !!
MAKAI or the Sweet corn is loved globally but our Desi MAKAI is so sweet & a must have in the monsoon season .
Eating or rather munching on the coal heated roadside Makai sprinkled with the vendors spicy tangy masala is a pleasure like none other
MAKAI or the Sweet corn is also a super food on its own because of its innumerable health benefits.
You can also check Garlic Chutney Recipe
MAKAI na BHAJIYA is a Gujarati recipe that has come down generations in every home . Traditionally it was made with Makai/ Maize flour but I have used Besan/ chickpea flour as it is more readily available but do try it with the MAKAI flour also, it is absolutely rustic & delicious!
MAKAI NA BHAJIYA Recipe
All you need for this simple recipe is
- 2 cups corn kernels ( Desi makai if possible )
- 3/4 cup besan / chickpea flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 3 tsps ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp ajwain
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tsp green chilli paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder ( optional )
- 1/2 tsp turmeric/ haldi powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Chaat masala to sprinkle
- Make a paste of one cup corn kernels out of the two cups
- Mix in the other cup & all the other ingredients except the oil & chaat masala
- Add in a little water to make a thick bhajya like batter
- Heat oil in a thick bottom vessel
- Add in spoonfuls of the batter slowly & fry on a medium flame
- As they turn brown & crispy, remove from the oil & sprinkle Chaat masala when still hot
- Serve Piping hot with Green Chutney or red lasan chutney
- That my favourite Recipe for you for this beautiful Monsoon weather