Recently I have been posting more of Indian food Recipes as it was winter & I love the fresh produce which Winter gives us.
But Today I am going to share my most favourite Recipe of a cake loaf made with Dates & walnuts, yes it is the famous Date Walnut Cake in a loaf tin, have added some Cocoa & Coffee powder to make it more Delicious. I had been trying to make a Perfect Eggless Date Walnut Cake since quite some time but it would somehow get too sticky or too dry. But finally, this Recipe worked out just the way I wanted my loaf to be, more like a cakey bread.
DATES are a wonder fruit according to me, the Fiber content in dates is great for the gut, the iron levels in dates help increase the haemoglobin. Dates also have a high level of Vitamin A which is highly beneficial for the eyes & skin.
Walnuts provide the much-needed Omega – 3 especially to Vegetarians along with being a powerful antioxidant as also offering support for brain health & good memory.
I have used half whole wheat flour & half Maida or All purpose flour in the Recipe but you can use only Whole wheat flour or only Maida if you like. It’s a great snack for the summer holidays for the family & can add some chocolate chips to make it more interesting for children.
So here’s the Recipe for DATE WALNUT LOAF
- 1 cup date puree ( soak the dates in hot water for 30 minutes & then puree them )
- Half cup whole wheat flour
- Half cup Maida / All purpose flour
- Half teaspoon baking soda
- Half teaspoon baking powder
- Half cup room temperature milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- Half cup white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon coffee powder
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Half cup chopped walnuts ( roasted well )
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180° C or 375°F.
- Prepare a 9×4 bread tin by brushing with butter & dust with some flour.
- Mix the cocoa powder & coffee powder with 2 tablespoons of hot water & keep aside.
- Add oil, date puree, milk, vinegar, vanilla extract in a mixing bowl & whisk with an electric whisk.
- Sieve both the flours with the baking soda, baking powder & salt.
- Add the flour mixture in the wet mixture little by little & whisk just till mixed well together.
- Add the coffee-cocoa mixture & whisk again for a minute.
- Remove the batter in the prepared tin.
- Bake for around 30 to 35 minutes till a knife inserted in the cake comes out clean.
When the Rich Aroma fills the air, you know the Delicious Cake is ready!!
I love to have this cake with my Cuppa tea but you can also serve it with your favourite Chocolate or Caramel sauce & some whipped cream.
The Summers are here & the kids are home, so we definitely need some innovative Dishes for them. I will be posting many more Yummy Recipes, so do follow my blog so that you are notified when I post them.
Have a Great Fun Filled Summer.
BE HAPPY & THANKFUL !!!